Electric Catamaran Bioluminescent Tour
Upcoming Tour Dates:
Tours run nightly, Monday through Sunday during the following dates:
March 14th through till March 31st
April 14th through till April 29th
May 12th through till May 29th
Looking for future dates? Simply send us an email with the dates you are visiting the island!
Cayman Kayaks is Cayman's first Bioluminescent tour operator and the only company to offer electric boat tours. Our brand new customized electric powered catamaran will take you silently and leisurely through the Bioluminescent Bay without harming the organsims. Once inside the Bay guests will sit down in the observation deck to personally interact with the Bioluminescence. This is not a glass bottom boat, there are holes in the middle of the boat so once we get to the bay we take off the covers and you will be able to dangle your feet and legs in the glowing water. Cayman Kayaks is proud to serve their Environmentally conscious guests by helping them explore this phenomenon fuel free.
These night tours run on the darkest nights of the month to allow the best quality tour.
Location: Rum Point Beach Club - far left side of car park.
Tour Time: 7:15pm & 9:15pm- Please arrive 10 minutes early
Tour Length: 1.5-2 hours in length.
Weight Restriction: 265 LBS per person, please contact our office if a guest is more than the restriction as some exceptions are made.
Attire: You will get wet. Walking in the 2.5 feet shallow sandy bottom to and from the boat. We suggest swimsuit, t-shirt, shoes that can get wet or barefoot at your own risk. Some may enjoy a long sleeve for the ride. A towel and spare dry shorts are recommended for a comfortable drive back at the end of the tour.
What is Bioluminescence?
Bioluminescence is defined as "Life Emitting Light." Bioluminescence is a common occurrence, however, finding an area with high concentrations on a regular basis is something not to be missed. On land we see bioluminescence is fireflies, glowworms and occasionally glowing fungi. However, in the ocean bioluminescence is much more common but extremely rare to be seen in high concentrations. Tiny microorganisms called 'Pyrodinium Bahamanse' are responsible for the captivating display. When at rest, they appear to sparkle, but when disturbed they release more light to be seen. Come and find out why these unique bays exist.
Why an Electric Catamaran to do the Bioluminescent Tour
Cayman Kayaks is a fully eco-friendly tour operator and passionate about the environment. We use the slogan "Travel By Paddle' simply because diesel and gasoline engines kill the bioluminescent organisms. When we started the company in 2006 we strictly only used kayaks to play in the bioluminescence in order to preserve and protect them. Now as more guests are interested in seeing the bay and some are not capable or interested in kayaking we have taken some time to design and build the perfect custom boat for the tour so we are not harming the microscopic organisms. The custom built catamaran has been equipped with electric motors so that when we are exploring the magical bay the boat is not only silent but most importantly it is friendly to the fragile environment. Do your part and explore this natural phenomenon fuel free!
Cost and Additional Information
$49 usd for children 4-12 years old - Minimum age of 4 to particpate
$69 usd for adults over 13+
Directions from Seven Mile Beach:
Speed signs are in MPH
- - Head South onto W Bay Rd. (keep the ocean on your right)
- - Continue onto N Church St (drive through George Town)
- - Continue onto S Sound Rd
- - At roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Shamrock Rd (passing Hurley's Grocery Store at Grand Harbour)
- - (Get into far right lane)
- - Go through one round about (second exit)
- - At the next roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Shamrock Rd
- - Pass Country Side Shopping continue on Shamrock Rd
- - Continue through Bodden Town Rd (ocean still on right)
- - Pass the Light House Restaurant
- - Turn left onto Frank Sound Rd (7-10 minutes)
- - Follow road up a small hill (past Water Boys Liquor and the Esso Gas station) left bend onto N Side Rd
- - Continue onto Rum Point Dr (12-17 minutes)
- - Road will force you to veer left - Take the immediate Right onto Sand Point Rd
- - Destination The Rum Point parking will be on the right
- - Cayman Kayaks is found at The Rum Point Club - for the Bio Tours only in the evening after 6:20pm
- - Meet us on the roadside- left side Rum Point when facing the ocean by the waverrunners / jet skis
- - Guides are wearing black t-shirts (Guide Names: David, Tom, Josh, Todd)
**When coming from Seven Mile Beach allow 1 hour**
For any further questions please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org